If you have rhubarb growing in your garden you are probably always looking for new ways to use it. Here is a healthy recipe you could make for breakfast or dessert.
- 1 cup millet
- 2 cups water
- a handful of sultanas
- a pinch of nutmeg, 1 tsp allspice, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp turmeric (all optional but really good)
- 4 stalks of rhubarb, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- a dash of non-dairy milk (like almond milk)
- Optional toppings: chopped nuts (like walnuts, pecans, almonds or brazil nuts), an extra drizzle of maple syrup
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the millet, water, sultanas, spices (if using), rhubarb and maple syrup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the millet is tender and has soaked up all the liquid. Don't stir it, just tip the pan to the side to see if there is still water at the bottom.
- Serve the Rhubarb Breakfast Millet in bowls and garnish with sliced strawberries and a dash of almond milk. Add a few chopped nuts and an extra drizzle of maple syrup, if desired.
- Enjoy the delicious combination of rhubarb and strawberries in a comforting millet porridge!